*Check Jason's Weather*


Friday, July 25, 2008

Adobe AIR application

Recently I downloaded and test drove the Adobe AIR Program (http://www.adobe.com/). In order to use this program fully, additional "add ons" must be dowloaded and installed on your computer. For my test drive, I chose two add ons, Quakeshake and The Kid Jukebox. Following are the results of my investigation.

Quakeshake
Easy install instructions? The instructions are not only easy to understand, but presented in an appealing format.
Intuitive usage-easy to use? Very easy to use. The Adobe Air environment is simple and intuitive, a sort of widget-like appearance.
Meaningful and purposeful for either your practice or personal interests? I chose add ons that were applicable to my teaching. Quakeshake tracks current earthquake data from all over the globe and displays the results on several maps. There is additional features included in the add on relating to earthquake data. I will use this to help support my earthquake unit at school.
Privacy and Security features? Although I have no idea how secure the features are, Adobe is a reputable company and I feel secure using their software.
Integration options to your practice? I would like to introduce my students to the Adobe AIR environment and download add ons that pertain to my units of instruction. The Quakeshake add on will be a hit in my classroom. This will enable my students to use currect scientific data with which to learn about earthquakes.

The Kid Jukebox
Easy install instructions? The instructions were very easy and intuitive.
Intuitive usage-easy to use? Very easy to use. The Jukebox operates with a series of slide down menus. There are 8 different stories and nursery rhymes. 3 steps to operate.
Meaningful and purposeful for either your practice or personal interests? I would have liked more songs, rhymes, and stories. It was a long download for what you get.
Privacy and Security features? No concerns about privacy or security. The content is public domain.
Integration options to your practice? I probably won't use this in my classroom. I need a more dynamic tool for searching and retrieving additional content which this program cannot do.

No comments: