*Check Jason's Weather*


Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Social Networking


I found this week's conversations full of resources. There was a conversation about blogging that I was particularly interested in because I have just started using them in my own classroom. I am not going to give out my blog address for security reasons, but I will give you my email in case there is a class that would like to "network" with my class using our blog site.

jdaniels@kpbsd.k12.ak.us

My students each have their own blog. I have started to give students assignments to post in their blog. This is similar to what Jason Ohler has asked his students to do for his ED632 course. I sometimes ask for a reflection about a topic we have discussed in class. I have also asked students to write a story and post it on their blog. In any case, it has become a valuable part of our classroom culture. Student like to use it. They are naturals at using their blogs, and have found innumerable ways to use it's functions to communicate ideas and preferences.

I found the the conversation this week was positive toward blogs, and I believe that blogs are the easiest of the Web 2.0 tools to implement in the classroom. Among other Web 2.0 tools, social networking tools include:
  • MySpace
  • Facebook
  • Wikis
  • Blogs
  • Voicethreads
Here is a video from my favorite source for Internet tools "in plain English", The Common Craft Show. This video comes in an unbranded "presentation quality" version that can be licensed for use in the workplace at http://www.commoncraft.com/store-item/video-social-networking




I will continue to improve upon my skill at using blogs in the classroom. I believe there is a great deal of untapped potential here.

1 comment:

jdaniels said...

thanks for commenting selina! I enjoy hearing from fellow tech-junkies like myself. What grabbed your attention on my site?