*Check Jason's Weather*


Monday, March 30, 2009

Second Life-Breathing New Life to Education?

This week's discussion centered around Second Life and it's effectiveness in education. Second Life is a free virtual environment where users can interact with others users in virtual 3D worlds. Anyone can use basic functions, like attending classes, viewing rooms, chatting with other members. Additionally, users can create their own environments and customize them for personal interests. Second Life Website states, "Second Life is a free online virtual world imagined and created by its Residents. From the moment you enter Second Life, you'll discover a fast-growing digital world filled with people, entertainment, experiences and opportunity."

As I visited several environments, I came to the quick realization that this is not for my elementary students. While a teacher may be able to control the environment students visit, from my experience, it would be very difficult to manage who students interact with, and what they are actually chatting about.

Ahh, this is the Web 2.0 conundrum...

At some point must we let go of these restrictions and let students explore and think for themselves? Let them make decisions about right and wrong, and let them succeed without an adult standing over their shoulder to make each decision for them? Maybe, however, I for one have a hard time doing this. Every nurturing bone in my body wants to protect my students from the negativity of the outside world. Given the way we've pushed the boundaries on social media and social interaction, I may be part of the problem! Here are some other thoughts from members of the class:

The ISTE International Society for Technology in Education has an island. On this island, I was I greeted by someone who gave me all of the information I needed to navigate the island. I found a board with all of the sessions offered, including the time.


Second Life is really engaging, and I agree that the younger kids don't have the media literacy skills they need to make this a safe place for them.


Once I discovered how to search properly and teleport, Second Life showed its potential and I had a lot of fun.


I spent most of my time in SL on NASA’s Island. I explored the planets and learned bits and pieces about some of the space shuttle explorations.


Whether we like it or not, it looks like Second Life is here to stay. Only the future know whether Second Life will be better suited for professional development or student learning or both as the Web 2.0 clock turns.

Click here for more information on Second Life!

You may want to see a video introduction of Second Life like the one below.


No comments: