*Check Jason's Weather*


Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wiki Review

I reviewed a unique and informative Wiki today.

I looked at a wiki called 21st Century Learning (http://21stcenturylearning.wetpaint.com/). This site is a community of educators embarking on a collaborative journey into the future of education, educational technologies and new curriculums in order to prepare our students to function in a competitive and rapidly changing global world. It’s also based on the newly phrased “21st Century Skills”. These skils are:

Core Subjects and 21st Century Themes
Communication & Collaboration
Creativity & Innovation ICT Literacy

This video is on their homepage. It attempts to describe the urgency of teaching in a new world and a new age. It adds interesting facts to shock the viewer.
http://www.youtube.com/v/vC928e629iM&hl=en

There is also an interesting article about digital native and immigrants:
Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants
By Marc Prensky From On the Horizon (NCB University Press, Vol. 9 No. 5, October 2001) © 2001 Marc Prensky http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf

I edited the pedagogy page. I added a review of an article about embedding instead of intergrating technology into education. If you look under top contributors, I am the one in the yellow kayak. I like this wiki and I will continue to check back as our class rolls along.

You can find my post here, http://21stcenturylearning.wetpaint.com/page/Pedagogy
I have also copied it here:

From "The Thinking Stick"
I don’t want to integrate it, I want to embed it!
September 24th, 2007 by Jeff Utecht As I quickly scan my blog alerts - this recent addition jumps into the discussion of pedagogy...I just read the article and Jeff has a good point about state of school districts still stuck in the "integration of technology" mode, as opposed to beginning to think about "embedding" the technology within the curriculum itself. I recommmend not only reading Jeff's thoughts, but the insightful comments that follow.

1 comment:

PattiD said...

Jason,
I think you found what many teacher seem not to understand. Digital immigrants have to find avenues to engage the digital natives. Your students are lucky to have you as a teacher.